Kalaa Kendra Newsletter
It’s Exam Time!!
Hooray! You’ve almost made it through the Kalaa Kendra 2018-2019 school year! On May 19th, you will be able to show everything you’ve learned this year to your family and friends as you enter exam mode and also compete with your batchmates!
EXAM TIME & LOCATION:
When: Sunday May 19th 2019
Time: 10 AM -1:30 PM
Where: Kyrene Middle School
Address: 1050 E Carver Rd Tempe, AZ 85284
Please note that no academy classes will be held today and everyone is expected to attend the ENTIRE event, even those not taking the exam.
Please note that if you miss the exam day, there will be no makeup test for you. Unless it’s an absolute emergency, if you miss the exam day, you will not receive a trophy or certificate and may have to repeat the year again! Bottom line: please don’t miss!
EXAM & COMPETITION FORMAT:
You will be tested on all the material you have learned this school year in the final exam, so please practice all of the material you have learned. In this last month of class, your teacher must also be going over other material you’ve learned in previous years because those also might show up on exam day.
Points will be awarded for:
- Saying your taal on hand
- Being neatly dressed, ghungaroos properly tied (if you don’t wear your ghungaroos or they fall off while dancing, you will be disqualified from the competition)
- Expressions (SMILE!)
- Dance techniques (give a little more to your performance; smile more, sharp spins, stiff hands etc.)
- Overall presentation
Each batch will be tested together and individually. For individual questions, you can be asked a wide variety of questions ranging from saying toda on hand or knowing what a paran is. Based on the criteria above, each batch will compete within themselves and individuals will be awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize at the end award ceremony.
- Please practice everything you’ve learned over the course of the year and anything extra that your teacher has told you will come on the exam day. Practicing everything will make you feel more confident in the material that you’ve learned this year which will help make the exam day go smoothly!
- Please remember to come to the venue fully ready to go in costume and makeup. You can tie your ghungaroos at the place, but just make sure that they are tied well so that they don’t fall off or get in the way.
- This has been mentioned but can’t be stressed enough: if you aren’t there on exam day (unless there is an absolute emergency), you will not receive a trophy or certificate and may not make it to the next level.
- If you can’t make it because of an absolute emergency, please let your teacher know beforehand and they will assess whether or not you can move up based on your performance throughout the year.
PICTURES FROM LAST YEAR’S EXAM: